Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit Level 1
Phonological Awareness & Alphabet Knowledge
(Formerly Titled Dyslexia Toolkit Level 1)
In 2017, the Nation’s Report Card on reading revealed that only 37% of 4th graders were proficient in reading. The tragedy is that most reading failure is unnecessary. We know that when students receive research-based instruction, 95% can become skilled readers.
Did you know that…….a student who fails to read adequately in 1st grade has a 90% chance of reading poorly in 4th grade (Gabrieli, 2009)? We must identify the warning signs of later reading challenges, including dyslexia, before 1st grade.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE WARNING SIGNS OF LATER READING CHALLENGES, INCLUDING DYSLEXIA?
- mixing up sounds and syllables in longer words
- naming familiar objects
- recognizing or writing their name
- learning the letters of the alphabet
- connecting sounds to letters
- recall: Days of the week, colors, etc.
Additionally, is there a family history of reading challenges?
If you answered yes to two or more of these questions, your student may be at risk for later reading challenges, including dyslexia.
SO……….WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Imagine building a house. Every house needs a sturdy foundation, otherwise the structure will fall apart. Reading is much like building a house, and the foundation of the reading house is Phonological Awareness & Alphabet Knowledge. Explicit & Systematic Instruction in Phonological Awareness & Alphabet Knowledge is necessary for all students to become skilled readers.
The Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit is a research-based curriculum which focuses on the foundational skills needed for skilled reading:
Phonological Awareness & Alphabet Knowledge.
THE FOUNDATIONAL READING SKILLS TOOLKIT……
- IS GREAT FOR HOME & SCHOOL – Learning can happen anywhere. We designed our toolkit for both school and home settings.
- CAN BE USED IN A VARIETY OF SETTINGS – The toolkit can be used one-on-one, during small group instruction, or with an entire class.
- INCLUDES FUN & ENGAGING MATERIALS – Students love learning when the materials are engaging. Our fully colored cards, games and bags are made of durable and long-lasting materials.
- CAN BE USED BY CHILDREN OF ALL AGES – Although the Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit targets children ages 4 to 8 years old, older kids who struggle with decoding can also use it.
- HAS EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS – There are no special requirements or training needed to be able to use these tools for teaching. Each kit contains an instructor’s manual with all the information you will need. Better yet, once a student knows how to “play” these games, they can practice on their own.
- IS A FANTASTIC VALUE – Did we mention that our toolkit is a fraction of the price of other curriculum?
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE FOUNDATIONAL READING SKILLS TOOLKIT?
- Information about the science of reading, reading challenges (Dyslexia), and effective instruction and intervention in foundational skills (Structured Literacy)
- Easy to Use Instruction Manual
- 396 Picture Cards
- 50+ Game Boards w/ Playing Pieces
- Fun Anytime, Anywhere Activities
- Bags for easy Organization and Storage
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING ABOUT THE FOUNDATIONAL READING SKILLS TOOLKIT?
“I wanted to take a moment and thank you for creating such a wonderful resource in your Toolkit. I have been an elementary teacher for over 20 years. I have found since working through the Orton-Gillingham certification, I now approach teaching reading to students much differently than in years past. Your toolkit has been incredibly helpful (and fun) in jumping into the specifics of brain training. My students really enjoy the various sets of activities!”
I’ve purchased plenty of reading materials and games directed towards reading over my career. This kit has by far, been the one I’ve enjoyed using the most. It has also been one that my students have responded to again and again in a positive manner. Every elementary teacher should have this in their classroom. Every parent who has a struggling reader can easily learn how to help their children with these exercises. GREAT JOB!”
CAN WE ANSWER ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FOUNDATIONAL READING SKILLS TOOLKIT?
Q: Do I need an educational background to teach this toolkit?
Absolutely not! We know that parents, instructional assistants, and volunteers do A LOT of teaching–both in schools and at home. We wrote the manual so anyone can help a child learn to read.
Q: What setting is the Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit intended for?
The Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit can easily be used at both school and at home.
Q: Can I use this toolkit for students who have dyslexia?
YES! The foundational skills required to become a skilled reader are the same for all children. However, children who display warning signs of dyslexia require more intensive instruction in Phonological Awareness & Alphabet Knowledge.
Q: Can a child use the toolkit on their own?
Once a student knows how to “play” the games, they can play the majority of them on their own. The first few times, however, an adult will need to demonstrate.
Q: Can the toolkit be used by more than one parent/teacher?
The toolkit is designed to be used by one parent or teacher at a time. Unfortunately, sharing materials often leads to lost materials.
Q: What grade/age group is the Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit (Level 1) for?
The Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit (Level 1) was designed for children ages 4-8. However, it can easily be used with children outside that age range.
Q: What if my child is older and is struggling with reading? Will the toolkit help?
The graphics on the cards and game boards associated with the Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit (Level 1) is intended for use with younger students. Therefore, the materials may feel “babyish” for a student over 8 years old. If your child is over 8 years old and is struggling with reading, they most likely have a deficit in phonological awareness that needs to be addressed. For our older students who are struggling, we recommend starting with the Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit (Level 2). The Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit (Level 2) will still include phonological awareness instruction, but doesn’t have the feel of “little kid” materials.
Q: Why does the toolkit cost $299?
In order to make learning engaging and fun, high quality materials are a must. Every game board and picture card that your student sees is printed in vibrant colors, and on heavy duty card stock so that it is long lasting. Although we could have cut costs by printing these in black and white, or on lighter weight paper, we feel that kids deserve the best materials. Also, we will mention once again, that our toolkit is a fraction of the cost of other curriculum.
Q: What if I don’t like the Toolkit?
We have a 30 day money back guarantee! (Please see our returns policy for full details).
Have more questions?
If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com, and we will make sure to get back to you as quickly as possible.
Help your child become a CONFIDENT and CAPABLE learner!
Add the Foundational Reading Skills Toolkit to your cart TODAY!
* Free Shipping is available only in the continental United States. For customers in Alaska, Hawaii, and throughout the rest of the world, please use the calculated shipping rate found at checkout.