Supporting Older Struggling Readers
Date: September 16th, 2020
Time: 3:00-6:00pm (Pacific Standard Time – Portland, OR)
Cancellation Policy: Due to limited seating, as well as the live and interactive nature of these trainings, requests for refunds must be submitted seven (7) days prior to training.
Supporting older struggling students requires a balance between instruction, accommodation and inspiration. This half day workshop will focus on these three areas for supporting students in grades 4 and beyond.
By 3rd grade, the majority of words readers encounter are multisyllabic. Struggling students experience difficulty decoding with accuracy and fluency, and thus, comprehension declines. A focus on morphology in 4th grade and beyond facilitates improved word recognition, vocabulary and comprehension. In this workshop, participants will:
- Recognize the most common prefixes, roots, suffixes, and combining forms in English content words.
- Analyze words at the morpheme level.
- Learn to teach decoding through morphology.
- Learn how to scaffold connected text for struggling readers.
- Develop a repertoire of assistive technology tools for reading and writing
- Understand how to integrate assistive technology into content area coursework
- Understand the dyslexia-anxiety-stress connection.
- Develop strategies to motivate and inspire students who are struggling with the social-emotional consequences of academic underachievement.
Who is this training intended for?
This workshop is intended for educators who support struggling students in grades 4 and above.
Where is this workshop taking place?
This workshop is online. Despite being online, this will be a LIVE and INTERACTIVE training.
What if I can’t attend on this date or time?
This is a live training and is currently only available during the given time. If you are unable to make it to this training, please check back for additional dates.
Are all materials included?
All materials are included. A PDF with the PowerPoint presentations and supplemental resources/activities will be e-mailed to you prior to the start of the workshop.
Can I attend even if I live outside of Oregon?
Absolutely! Please do!
What if my school district wants to pay by P.O.?
We welcome school districts to pay by purchase order. Please email email@example.com to register.
What if I want to register more than one person?
Please include the names and email addresses of all attendees in the “Notes” section of your order.
What do I do if I have additional questions?
Please do not hesitate to contact us! We’re happy to answer any questions you have! We can be reached at 503.747.3491